Thursday, July 18, 2013

That's What Friends Are For

I spent the afternoon with a friend today. We didn't go shopping, or for a walk, or drink wine (no really, we didn't). We didn't even talk. Well, I talked, but she can't. She lost her ability to talk a year and a half ago when she fell and suffered a terribly injury to her brain. So today I visited with her and her family, and I did all the talking. Bella and I told her about all the things we've been up to this summer and the exciting things we have planned in the next month before school starts up again. I sat with her through her therapy and was filled with joy when she passed a beach ball to me 4 times (her therapist said she usually only does it once - so 4 times was impressive!). I looked deep into her eyes, hoping that she understood everything I was saying and that she is still in there somewhere. I know she is working ferociously to get out. The road behind her has been long and difficult, and the road ahead still looks like it's all uphill. But she is trying her hardest. Slowly, but surely. When I get home from a visit with her I usually cry. I can't help it. It just plain sucks to see her that way. But when I am done with my tears, I am hopeful for her. Each time I see her, I see that she is getting stronger. I see the determination as she reaches for me and tries to speak. Her mother said that she doesn't get very many visitors anymore. "People's lives are busy", she said. Yes, our lives are busy. But I can't see my life being so busy that I would stop caring about a friend. Friends need friends to stick by them - no matter what. Reminds me of one of my favorite poems:

“How many slams in an old screen door? Depends how loud you shut it. How many slices in a bread? Depends how thin you cut it. How much good inside a day? Depends how good you live 'em. How much love inside a friend? Depends how much you give 'em.”  - Shel Silverstein

Life is short...your friends are your friends for a reason. You need them, and they need you. Be good to them. Appreciate them. Take care of them. Laugh with them. Enjoy life with them. And they will do the same for you. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tasha-Loo! Bless you and Bella for visiting your friend even though it's hard. I cried reading this - for your friend, for her family, for you, for everyone. You never know when everything in your life might change.