Friday, January 4, 2013

Auld Lang Syne

Today was a beautiful day in Colorado. Let's face it, there are very few days that are NOT beautiful in Colorado, but today was especially nice. The sun was shining brightly, not a cloud in the sky. The air was cool and smelled of winter...wood fires burning, the smell of damp earth and melting snow. The mountains stood majestic today, in all their glory. It was a stunning day.

One year ago, on this day, I lost a friend. Thinking back to that time, it was hard to believe that I could walk out the door one year later and the tears would be gone. On that day, it seemed as though my friends and I would be sad forever. But that's not how life works. Time has a funny way of healing our wounds...it just does.

I went to the cemetery today with my daughter and my friends and as I walked up to Scotty's headstone, I did not cry this time. I smiled. I smiled because Scotty was always one to make you smile. I smiled because life is a beautiful thing and I'm truly happy to be alive.

2012 was a rough one. I think many of us can agree on that. But I hope that we all learned something from it. I learned that it's ok to work hard, but then I need to play harder. I learned that I need to RELAX more and not let the little things get to me! I stopped to look at my life and realized what is really important.  I've been making lists the past few days (I love a good list...so much satisfaction when you get to cross things off!) ...things to do, things to see, things to feel, to eat, to smell! I want to feel my life this year! I want to make it count!

Thank you my friend Scotty, for being here as long as you could be. I will think of you often with a smile, as it should be.

Happy New Year!

P.S. If you have something fun on your list that you want to share...call me - I just may join you!


Thoughts and love to my friends Cheryl & Monica... I hope one year from now, after the passing of both your fathers today, you will find peace and healing too.  Love you both!

No comments: