Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Fountain of Youth



Late yesterday afternoon Bella and I were at the supermarket. We were slowly making our way through the aisles ( I forgot my list so was trying to remember everything we needed). There was a bus full of elderly people there from a nearby retirement home. Bella was sitting in the cart, singing, chatting, making funny remarks about everything. About half way through the store, I had a feeling we were being followed. Sure enough, there was a line of little old ladies, tagging along behind us, not looking for groceries, but listening to Bella. They all had big smiles on their faces and seemed to have a new spring in their steps. We stopped and chatted a little. Bella charmed them all. 

On our way home I got a little choked up thinking about how much my grandfather would have loved Bella. He died long before she was born. I realized how fast time goes and how precious these years are. I can only hope all my grandparents are still here with us, maybe skipping along quietly behind us as we browse through the cookie aisle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay... i have tears in my eyes. those ladies are probably still talking about the beautiful young girl who entertained them... its a wonderful image...

Anonymous said...

Gunny would have been directing the ladies over to talk with "my great-granddaughter." And then he would have scouted out others so they wouldn't miss the grand experience - and the pleasure he got from one of his life's great joys. Lucky he had a daughter to carry on the great delight of being Bella's grandmommy - gm

BAM said...

I agree...Grandpa would have been leading the way for the train of old ladies. I can only imagine how he'd be with all the great grandchildren. I'm sure he would have driven through the night to see Quinn for the first time at the hospital. And like your vision of him in the store leading the ladies...he would do the same with every person he crossed on his way to see us.

I was thinking about him the other day while I was holding Quinn...about how he used to stroke his scratchy, old man fingers over my face, starting at my forehead and moving toward my chin as I'd be falling asleep. Then I did the same thing to Quinn, more for myself to relive a good memory than for him.

Anonymous said...

Ok, now that everyone has me in tears. Yes dad would have loved all of his grandchildren and great grandchildren just as he loved us. I remember also how he used to stroke my forhead also as I was going to sleep as a little girl. Aunt Rhynda